Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default counting multiple criteria

Hi Peo,

A quick question - why use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(arealog=A2),--(typelog=B2))
instead of
=SUMPRODUCT(N(arealog=A2),N(typelog=B2))
?
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(arealog="bending"),--(typelog="sprain"))

note that your named ranges need to have the same dimension

I would personally use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(arealog=A2),--(typelog=B2))

where A2 and B2 are 2 cells where you would put the criteria, that way you
don't need to edit the formula itself if/when you change the criteria

Peo Sjoblom

" wrote in message
Sorry if this has been covered before but I can't find a solution.

I have a workbook logging accidents. I have a range named "arealog"
detailing which department the accident occurred in i.e. forge,
bending, painting, bushing etc. I also have a range named "typelog"
detailing the type of accident i.e. bruise, sprain, laceration etc.
On a sperate sheet of the same workbook I want to be able to count the
number of "Sprains" in the "Bending" department.

something like SUM((arealog=€¯bending€¯)IF(typelog=€¯sprain€¯ ))

Hope this makes sense

Thanks in anticipation
Martin