Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheeloo[_2_] Sheeloo[_2_] is offline

Default VLOOKUP or MATCH or Magical function

Assuming you want Y/N in Col I and values to be looked up are in Col F & G
(second set of your data)
Enter this where you want Y/N
=IF((VLOOKUP(F2,A:B,2,FALSE)=G2),"Y","N")

This assumes your first set of data is in Col A & B...

It does not check for errrors. You may like to wrap the above in a ISNA
formula...

"PJS" wrote:

Hello,
I am running into a problem and I am not sure which function to use.
Suppose I have a worksheet1 with of data i.e. the person and the brand of
cars they own.

Person Car
A BMW
A Ford
B GM
B Mercedes
B Porsche
C Honda
D Toyota
D Lexus

Is it possible to create a second worksheet ~ say worksheet 2 and depending
on the data from worksheet 1, it would fill out Y, N

Person Car Own (Y/N)
A BMW Y
A Ford Y
A GM N