Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nev Wood Nev Wood is offline

Default Dates not consistent

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet which contains user counts on the hour every hour.
However, I know that there are gaps in my data and because I want to compare
this data with data from other sources I have used the following solution:

A B C D
Recorded DateTime Recorded Counts All DateTime All Counts
27/05/2008 07:00 3 27/05/2008 07:00 3
27/05/2008 08:00 4 27/05/2008 08:00 4
27/05/2008 09:00 6 27/05/2008 09:00 #N/A
27/05/2008 11:00 6 27/05/2008 10:00 #N/A
27/05/2008 12:00 10 27/05/2008 11:00 #N/A
etc.

Columns A & B contains all the data that I have, column C contains all dates
and times in this period whether there is a corresponding value in column A
or not, and column D contains a formula which is designed to show the value
from column B if there is data for that date and time or #N/A if not.

The formula I am using in cell D2 is:

=VLOOKUP(C2,A$2:B$1035,2,FALSE)

I would expect to see #N/A in cell D5 as there is no data for 10am, but I
would expect to see values in D4 & D6 as there are values for 9am and 11am.
If I click in the formula bar for cells C4 & C6 and then press enter Excel
gives me the value I expect, and therefore I suspect there is some problem
with Excel not recognizing that the contents of A4 are the same as C4
(although it has worked for rows 2 and 3!!).

Please help, this is driving me crazy!!

--
Nev