Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default Where to input a SUB function?

Assuming you are using Data Validation List dropdown menu from which to pick
the names.................

Move your 100 names from sheet2 and place tham on a new sheet.

Give that list of names a defined name under InsertNameDefine

e.g. MyNames

On sheet1 Column B select as many cells as you want to have a dropdown then
go to DataValidationAllowList

In the source dialog enter =MyNames.

The new sheet can be hidden under FormatSheetHide if you prefer.

Gord

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:30:01 -0700, NightLord
wrote:

Awesome!
You're obviously a wiz at this, so tell me if I got this right:
On Sheet1, I have a column (Column B) where my folks input the names of
people. Now because Sheet2 is tracking how many times a name appears,
spelling is extremely important. What I did was assign the first 100 Rows (on
Sheet1) to inputing the names which will be used so they can just use Select
From Drop-down, and not worry about mis-spelling anything. The problem with
this is that those names then show up during my calulations on Sheet2. I
heard there is a way to have those drop-down options come from a list
somewhere, but I never understood the process because the instructions always
seem to assume you're using more data than JUST a straight list of names.
I also tried Hiding those Rows, but the data still gets counted. Is there
someplace that explains what I'm trying to accomplish?