Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Richard8A Richard8A is offline

Default Applescript: get range of selection

Hopefully someone can help me, because if not I will not be able to migrate
my current collection of Applescripts to work with either Excel 2004 or Excel
2008 (I've been using Excel X because it still works).

So, this seems so simple that it should be obvious, but it's not. I've tried
just about everything, and my colleagues and I cannot come to a solution. I
want to get the range (preferably in "A1" format) of the currently selected
cell. That's it. Whether it's a range object or text, it doesn't matter. I
need to have the range itself to be able to pass to other functions and use
elsewhere after it is asked for. I can't simply always refer to the
selection. In fact, many of my scripts work much faster when I don't always
select the cell I want to work with. Here's the code snippet:

tell application "Microsoft Excel"
set rangeA1 to range of selection
return rangeA1
end tell

I always end up with a "missing value". I realize it is possible to get the
row and column, but many of Excel's commands after Excel X don't like R1C1
format for ranges.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
-Richard