Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom[_2_] Peo Sjoblom[_2_] is offline

Default Formula for sum of alternate cells

Thanks for the info Lori, very interesting.

I love the last one and I know how to get
numbers from a string as long as they are in one place.

Peo Sjoblom

"Lori" wrote in message
Thanks Peo, i make them up :-) i figure there are many functions out there
which can be put to good use as long as you're aware of the limitations.

NPV is a good example - other useful values for rate a
1/-0.5: for a binary sum
9/-0.9 : for a decimal sum
Big/small: for the first or last value

eg: =NPV(1e20,A1:K1)*1e20

returns the first non-blank value in the row. Or...in Excel 2007 (cse):

=NPV(-0.9,,IFERROR(MID(A1,51-ROW(1:50),1)%,""))&""

extracts the numeric portion of a string such as
"apple 123 banana 345 pear 567 orange 678" - 123345567678

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Clever. How do you find these Lori?

Peo Sjoblom

"Lori" wrote in message
You could also try these two:

=SUM(NPV({0,-2},D23:K23))/2
=SUM(NPV({0,-2},,D23:K23))/2

"John Blackwell" wrote:

Folks,

I'm trying to find a formula for summing the contents of alternate
cells
in
a row?

I have a large workbook and want to calculate the contents of row 23 -
i.e.
E23, G23, I23, K23, M23 etc etc, up to KK23. Is there a simple
formula
for
this?

John Blackwell