Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Line Break in Cell Number Format

They're smart enough to do it with plain old text, but not through a custom
number format.

Rick Rothstein wrote:

Never mind... I see why. Excel calculates the width of the text as if there
were no Line Feed in it (well, almost as there seems to be an extra space or
two being counted as well)... if the Column Width is set less that this
value, Excel thinks text no longer fits. I'm surprised it does this as there
are API functions available which correctly measure the width of text
containing Line Feeds... you would think since Microsoft wrote those API
functions, it would have used them in its other products (such as Excel
maybe<g).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
Hmm! I hadn't tried shrinking the width... that's weird.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Just to add to Rick and Sean's reply...

Format|cells
On the Number tab
Custom category
"Lump Sum"(ctrl-j)$#,##0.00

Then on the Alignment tab
Uncheck Wrap text (temporarily)
Check Shrink to fit
Check Wrap text

You will have to adjust the rowheight manually.

If you don't have shrink to fit checked, you'll see #### if you shrink
the
columnwidth--even when it looks like there's plenty of room for the
wrapped text
to show up.

briancrosier wrote:

I would like to format a number so that it reads as follows:

Lump Sum
$5,000.00

I know that using custom formatting I can add the text, but I would like
show the result in two lines. Is there a way to add a line break in
custom
formatting?

--

Dave Peterson