Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie David McRitchie is offline

Default mixing zip with zip+4 and then sorting

You want to format the column as text (string data), to fix what you have, see
Rearranging Data in Columns (join.htm), subtopic ...
Fix up for 5 digit US zip codes (#fixUSzip5)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#fixUSzip5

You can enter zip code as 09876- and it will be a text,
but formatting the column ahead of time as text is best.
--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"JWCrosby" wrote...
I have a zip code column that has both standard zips (5 digits) and zip +4
(00000-0000). When I sort by zip it sorts all the 5-digit zips separately
(at the beginning) from the zip+4. How can I get it to sort and mix them
together in proper order?