Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PSmith PSmith is offline

Default Frequency of text values

Thanks, after several repeated attempts I finally got it to work - although I
did not alter what I was doing each time. Why it wouldn't work initially,
who knows. But thanks, your help is much appreciated.

"PSmith" wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is a formula that will produce a list of all the
unique text values in a range, and what their corresponding counts are? I am
already familiar with the COUNTIF formula, but it can only be used if one
already knows what all of the possible values are in the data range. If the
list of possible values is long, it would take too many individual formulas
to do them one at a time. So, if my data range is something like:

Col A.
blue
red
green
yellow
red
black
yellow
blue
red
brown
brown
orange

I am hoping I can use one formula that will produce a result that will look
like
blue 2
green 1
yellow 2
red 3
black 1
brown 2
orange 1

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks