Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Calculating hours

Hi,

You can use this formula. The assumption herein is that the 2 times (start
and end time) are on consecutive days I.e. the work hours are separate by a
day. Please ensure that the cell is formatted as General

(VALUE("24:00")-VALUE(A5))*24+(VALUE(B5)-VALUE("00:00"))*24

A5 has start time and B5 has end time

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Marty" wrote in message
I am working on a spreadsheet that will calculate the hours worked by a
staff
member.
A1 has the start time of 16:00
A2 has a finish time of 01:30 the next morning.

What is the formula please to work out the hours worked by subtracting A2
from A1?