Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JP[_4_] JP[_4_] is offline

Default Is the RANBETWEEN function certified randomness?

Jerry,

I think we can agree that, for scientific purposes, Excel isn't
equipped to generate random numbers the way some people need. For most
of us, the functionality provided is sufficient.

On Sep 23, 6:37*am, Jerry W. Lewis wrote:
Your cited article gives the method that MS claims to use in 2007, but what
they actually use remains a mystery, since as I previously noted, McCullough
recently showed (Computational Statistics & Data Analaysis 52(10):4587-4593,
2008) that the sequence produced by RAND is not consistent with these
formulas. *A preprint can be downloaded fromhttp://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary;jsessionid=D503F02718960...

Jerry