Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default MATCH() Function and Blanks

Thanks!
Also thank you for your help several weeks ago.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200805

"Lars-Åke Aspelin" wrote:

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 03:57:00 -0700, Gary''s Student
wrote:

I have a column of values and am trying to identify where values appear in
the column. For example, in A1 thru A5:

cow
mouse

pig
horse

Note A3 is blank. If I put "pig" in B1 then the formula

=MATCH(B1,A1:A5,0)

correctly returns 4

If I leave B1 blank, the formula returns #N/A rather than 3.
I need the result to be 3.

I can make a UDF to give the correct result, but I can't use VBA in this
application.

So can I find values in a list even if the value is a blank??

Try the following formula.

=MATCH("x"&B1,"x"&A1:A5,0)

Note that this is an array formula that has to be entered with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke