Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama Teethless mama is offline

Default Search Formual Error

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH({"ABC","123"},A1))),"Contains","Do es not
contain")

"Christopher Naveen" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying search a particular character in a cell and i used "Search"
Function. Here is the formual I used but it is returning error.

=IF(OR(SEARCH("ABC",A1),SEARCH("123",A1)),"Contain s","Does not contain")

the requirement is to check 2 different characters in the cell. So I used OR
function.

Result
A B
ABC 123 Contains
ABC #VALUE!
123 #VALUE!
EL #VALUE!

The second and third row should return the value as "contains" but it is
returning error. Can anyone help me to fix this.

Thanks in advance!

Christ