Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
P D Sterling P D Sterling is offline

Default Character Set

I haven't seen this talked about recently. Periodically, I get a small
database in UTF-8 encoding. When I upload it to Excel, I get garbage for
such characters as ü, é, â, and many more.

I experimented, opening it in a text editor, and it read correctly, but
when I asked the text editor to convert it to Windows ISO, the accented
characters became garbage. It wouldn't be such a problem, but sometimes
I don't know that "L!@#$%vis" means "Lévis," if I have never heard of
the place!

I tried the help function, but all the available comments were
*un*helpful. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

P D Sterling
Florida, New York USA