Ragdyer

you *can* type:

jan 1, 05

And XL will recognize it as a date, BUT ... XL will display it as whatever
date format is set for that cell, verifying that it is recognized.

RD

"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi

do you actual type
Jan 1 05
into a cell ... if so, excel doesn't (on my system anyway) recognise it as

date ... try entering your dates using either the / or the -
e.g.
1/1/05
(less typing too)

--
Cheers
JulieD
dates/chang wrote in message
Please, I'm just getting farther from the answer and I have to be up for
church soon. First question. I'm obtuse but when I type in a date, eg
jan 1
05 and then format/cell/date I select a date format and it morphs in to

completely different date.

2nd question: to change case, use UPPER or LOWER function. But, how
does
that work to use the cell itself or a group of cells.

If anyone can help, I'll owe you forever.

carrie, washington state