Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default VLookup multiple values - sum returned values into single cell

If this is what you have:

...........A.............B
1..Pittsburgh......10
2. Baltimore.......0
3..Pittsburgh......20
4..Cleveland......0
5..Cincinnati......-5

And you want to sum values that correspond to Pittsburgh:

=SUMIF($A$1:$A$5,"Pittsburgh",$B$1:$B$5)

Better to use cells to hold the criteria:

D1 = Pittsburgh

=SUMIF($A$1:$A$5,D1,$B$1:$B$5)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"se7098" wrote in message
I have found several items close to what i need but nothing exact. I need
perform a vlookup consisting of multiple values (names of cities) then
return
the sum of that result into a single cell. Is this possible? brand new to
vlookup so dummy it down for me, please. :)