Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default converting vertical inches in tank to gallons (have manual cha

Hi Biff,

this doesn't tie in with the last example the OP gave, i.e.:

71.75 2088

Based on answers elsewhere, I imagine it is a cylindrical tank on its
side, so it won't be linear.

I stand by my first post, though it will be tedious to enter 563
increments.

Pete

On Sep 17, 6:50*pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
Based on the small sample you posted the ratio is linear: 0.125 inches = 1
gallon

A1 = measurement

=A1/0.125

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Scotty" wrote in message

I have not used excel in years......so setting up the table is seeming to
be
problematic. The chart I have is very accurate...made by the tank company
example..
inches * * * * *gallons
0.125 * * * * * * * * 1
0.250 * * * * * * * * *2
0.375 * * * * * * * * *3
0.50 * * * * * * * * * *4
...... * * * * * * * * ......
71.75 * * * * * * *2088

563 total increments in all

thanks for the help

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Set up a two-column table somewhere which is similar to your chart,
eg:

0.5 * * 23
1.0 * * 45
1.5 * * 68
2.0 * * 91

and so on. Suppose this occupies G1:H15. Then, if you enter your
measurement in A1, you can have this formula in B1:

=IF(A1=0,0,VLOOKUP(A1,G$1:H$15,1))

to give you the volume. You could make it more accurate by
interpolating between vertical heights, although you do not suggest
that this is what you do currently.

Another way would be to just calculate the volume from the height,
assuming you know the diameter (and thus the cross-sectional area) of
the tank.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 17, 5:26 pm, Scotty <Scotty @discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
I have a tank that I measure daily to see how many gallons are in. I
measure
it with a stick and then look at a chart made for the tank to see how
many
gallons it equals. I would like to set up excel so that I can enter in
the
stick measurement and it will give me the gallons in the next column
automatically. Any suggestions on how to do this?- Hide quoted text -