Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default converting vertical inches in tank to gallons (have manual cha

Nothing as long as the liquid surface is Parallel to the base i.e it's not
like the leaning tower of Pisa.

For a flat tank you would do it manually like this

Length of tank * Breadth of tank * liquid depth in feet * 6.22883288

The last number is how many imperial gallons are in 1Cuft.

To covert this to an excel formula

=6 * 4 * A1 * 6.22883288

All units of measure are in feet and the tank dip is entered in A1

If you prefer inches do this

=((72*48*A1)/1728)*6.22883288

Tank dips are notoriously inaccurate anyway, any inlclination of the
dipstick causes a high reading.

Mike

"Scotty" wrote:

tank is laying horizontal.... what will that do to the formula?

"Mike H" wrote:

Hmmm,

I'll get it right in a minute. The dip must be in feet. i.e 12ft 6in should
be entered as 12.5

Mike

"Mike H" wrote:

Scotty,

Use this formula

=(PI()*B1^2*A1)*6.22883288

Where
B1 is the radius of the tank
and
A1 is the dip depth in inches
the answer will be imperial gallons

Mike

"Scotty" wrote:

I have a tank that I measure daily to see how many gallons are in. I measure
it with a stick and then look at a chart made for the tank to see how many
gallons it equals. I would like to set up excel so that I can enter in the
stick measurement and it will give me the gallons in the next column
automatically. Any suggestions on how to do this?