Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default converting vertical inches in tank to gallons (have manual chart)

If the tank has a linear ratio of inches to gallons all you need to do is
multiply the inches of material times the gallons per inch.

If the tank is not like that then you need to create a 2 column table with
the inches in the left column and the gallons in the right column:

...........A..........B
1........0...........0
2........1.........100
3........2.........422
4........3.........888
5........4........1123

There are several formulas you can use to get the result. Here are a couple:

D1 = tank measurement = 3

=VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B5,2,0)

Or

=SUMIF(A1:A5,D1,B1:B5)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Scotty" <Scotty @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I have a tank that I measure daily to see how many gallons are in. I
measure
it with a stick and then look at a chart made for the tank to see how many
gallons it equals. I would like to set up excel so that I can enter in the
stick measurement and it will give me the gallons in the next column
automatically. Any suggestions on how to do this?