Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brad Vogt Brad Vogt is offline

Default Lost TOTAL Icon

If you want the total to show up in that cell, then you will need a formula
like the one that I gave you. You may have the workbook in formulas view
which would not show the result but continue to just display "=sum(B5:B12)"

To toggle the formulas view back off, hold the Ctrl key and hit the ` key at
the top left of your Keyboard. When you hit it again it toggles back and
forth.

"Bill" wrote:

Hi Shane,

I followed directions... turned off toolbars and still couldn't get a total
for the total cell... then turned them back on and tried again, nothing. Any
other ideas to get a simple total? Thanks, Bill

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

Hi Bill,

Most likely your two toolbars are on the same row - choose View, Toolbars,
Customize, and on the Options tab turn on or off the show toolbars on one row
option (on or off depending on the version of Excel).

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Bill" wrote:

This is so basic it's embarrassing. I have not used Excel in several years.
I opened the program, typed in my numbers/amounts in a column, choose and
dragged down column for a total - AND, when I looked for the Total Icon, it
wasn't there. I have looked under every topic in tool bar area and cannot
find it. Somepone please assist. THANKS.