Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duke Carey Duke Carey is offline

Default Counting characters in a cell

The last part of the formula is two single quotes with nothing in between.
The intent is to replace the a's with nothing. The whole formula counts the
# of characters in the cell and subtracts the the # of characters when the
a's are eliminated

Is that what you have?

"Laura Henderson" wrote:

Thanks for the response. I'm still getting 0 even after I put a b a b in A1.
Should I be seperating the characters with anything? I tried a comma but
still get 0. My formula is in B1.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"a",""))

if you want a label for it

="Monthly Total of a = " & LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"a",""))

"Laura Henderson" wrote:

I need to count how many times 1 cell has letter a, b, c, d, and so on. Is
there any way to do this without using multiple cells? Also, is there a way
to name each total? For example, a = Monthly Total of A. Thanks!