Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MartinW MartinW is offline

Default gang remove blank rows

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you got it working.

With Fred's method you seem to have missed the part where he said "select
these rows". After you have applied the Autofilter, select all of the blank
rows by their row headers (that selects the entire rows), right click on one
of the row headers
and select delete, then go back to DataFilterAutofilter and click on it to
turn it off.

When you have time to play around you may also want to persist with Dave's
method to work out how that works. In Excel, as with virtually all programs,
there are a lot of different ways of achieving the same result, all useful in
different situations. The more you have in your armoury, the better equiped
you are whan those tricky little situations arise.

Cheers
Martin

"swell estimator" wrote:

I want to thank Dave especially for his patience and diligence for staying
with my problem til I was given a solution.

And thank you very much Martin - your solution was the simplest and it
worked immediately leaving my data in the correct order as I needed.

And thank you Fred. Perhaps because I'm using Excel 2003, filtering the
data worked this way. After clicking filter on the Data menu, 2 choices:
Advanced and Autofilter. Advanced didn't give me options that I could see
but Autofilter allowed me to select blanks and non-blanks. I first selected
blanks and the whole column went blank. When I right clicked and selected
delete or delete row, the whole column collapsed with delete - and nothing
happened with delete-row.

But by going back in to Autofilter and selecting Non-blanks I achieved the
results I wanted - all the items in the order. I assumed the blank rows
below were THE blank rows but it didn't seem necessary to delete them. I
tried both ways.

Could Excel 2003 possibly have a different way of using the Data filter or
did I just not know what I was doing?

Thank you guys for saving me a ton of tedious work that would have been
required to manually remove the blank rows. Chris, the swell estimator

"Fred Smith" wrote:

Use DataFilter. Select Blanks. Now only blank rows will be displayed.
Select these rows, right-click on any row, select Delete Row.

Regards,
Fred.

"swell estimator" wrote in
message ...
I have a large amount of data that is composed of a text row followed by 2
blank rows. This pattern repeats itself in the entire worksheet.

I want to gang remove the blank rows so that I end up with single spaced
data.

Any help out there. Thank you.