Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default data validation, totaling values based off dropdown lists

You're welcome!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jesse Blanchard" wrote in
message ...
Thanks to all.

"T. Valko" wrote:

press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER together to get this to work

Not necessary. A normal ENTER will do.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sheeloo" wrote in message
Suppose you have names in Col A, type of injury in Col B (say four text
values A, B, C, and D) and hours in Col C then enter this wherever you
want
to total hours for say type a
=SUMPRODUCT(--((B1:B16) = "A"),C1:C16)
change B16 and C16 to the end of your data range
ALSO pl press CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER together to get this to work

You can do similar formula for other types or have A,B, in a cell and
refer
to that cell in place of "A" above

"Jesse Blanchard" wrote:

The situation: I have a list of patient names in one column, a
dropdown
list
with four text options (for their type of injury) in another, and
another
dropdown list with a numerical value of how many administrative hours
spent
on them in another dropdown list.

I need a formula that will keep tally of the number of hours spent on
patient according to their injury. So, in short, I need add the total
number
of hours for only those patients who have a specific text item
selected
in
the first dropdown list.

Thanks to all who reply to these things. I have learned a lot about
excel
in
just two days thanks to your help.