Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sheeloo Sheeloo is offline

Default How to enter zip starting with 0 (zero)

The other option is to Format the cells as Custom-00000. This way nos will
be stored as numbers though I can't think of any use.

"Orrie" wrote:

Thanks Peo, it worked, although I had to try it twice until it did. The
first time, there was a little error icon next to the cell. The error was
supposed to be an apostrophe preceding the numbers. There was no apostrophe,
but I deleted the entry, retyped it and then selected the setting in Format
Cell to accept the entry with the "error," the entry worked.

Orrie

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
Format the cell as text before entering

Peo Sjoblom

"Orrie" wrote in message

I am entering addresses into an Excel worksheet the I need to use in a
mail merge. One of the addresses has a five digit postal zip code that
begins with a "0" (zero.) I typed it in like any other zip code entry,
but Excel dropped the zero as soon as I moved to the next cell. I tried
converting the entry into "text," but when I printed the record, only the
zero printed.

Other zip codes that do not start with zero work fine in a mail merge and
in printing the records.

How can I enter a zip code that begins with a zero, so it will appear
properly in Excel and in a mail merge?

Thank you.

Orrie