Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre Ron Coderre is offline

Default Converting Numbers to Months

Wtih
A1 containing "date-like" text....eg: 9-2008

This formula converts that value to a date:
B1: =--A1
(format B1 as a date)

or...this formula converts the A1 value into formatted text:
B1: =TEXT(A1,"mmm-yyyy")

In the above example, the first formula returns the date 09/01/2008,
(which can be formatted any way you'd like)
and the second formula returns this text: Sep-2008

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"John" wrote:

Does anyone know the formula which will convert numbers into months for
example:

9-2008 and I need Sep-2008 have tried changing the column into a Custom type
using mmm-yy but it completely changes the month and year. The data has been
taken from our company operation system which is SAP.

Thanks