Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sheeloo Sheeloo is offline

Default Auto Numbering Test Scores and want ties to count the same

Sort the scores in descending order (assuming they are in Col E)
Enter 1 agains the highest score (assuming you want the rank in Col F)
Enter =IF(E2=E1,F1,F1+1) in the cell below that and copy till end

"Scott" wrote:

I have a series of 300 test scores from students and want them automatically
numbered from 1-300 based on best to worst. The problem is I want identical
scores to number the same.
i.e. say after number 10 the next three have identical scores I want all
of those to number 11 and then the following score to be numbered 14.