Bill Manville

Hi Steven

Thanks for sending the files.
Like you, I had believed what this Startup Prompt option said on the
label. Seems we were both wrong.

I found an MSKB article
which indicates (rather unclearly) that with this option, the dialog is
only suppressed if the user has de-selected
Tools / Options / Edit / Ask to update automatic links

It seems to me that this makes this option behave identically to the
default "Let users choose to display the alert or not":
If the tools / options setting is ticked the user gets an update links
dialog and if not then the links are updated automatically with no
dialog.

I have raised the question with Microsoft since I feel it cannot be by
design that there are 2 options with the same behaviour.

Meanwhile, I suggest you choose the second option "Don't display the
dialog and don't update links". Then, if your workbook can contain
macros, have a Workbook_Open macro that does the updating:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim vLinks, vLink
vLinks = ThisWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)
For Each vLink In vLinks
ThisWorkbook.UpdateLink(vLink, xlExcelLinks)
Next
End Sub

Bill Manville
MVP Microsoft Excel