Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ben Ben is offline

Default Vlookup Help

Hello Niek,

I must admit, i am a little bit of a novice but do have a good understanding
with the functions and what not (currently at university studying computer
science).

I thought that the statement "A8:B731" was the fields linking the two excel
documents (Matching figures within the two). Thus, when the vlookup finds
those figures, it will take the 2nd columns field in that row?
- So, does that mean that i can have the range A8:Z800 or any set of
parameters or criterias? Yet, what if i don't want to search all of the
fields between A & Z ? (just for me, not the document as there all unique
numbers) Do you have to do something like A8:A731;Z8:Z731 ?

I thought that the A8:A731 links the two excel documents.

I also read that vlookup only works in the first column of cells (A:A) but
is this wrong?

Also, on another note and confirmation, is the "(A18," bit meaning look up
that cell? - The Microsoft help site thingy is only moderately helpful hence
my attempt for the first time.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but i am quite intrigued. Thanks for the
quick reply and help.

Regards,

Ben

"Niek Otten" wrote:

Hi Ben,

=VLOOKUP(A18, [Sheet2]T01!A8:B731,2,FALSE)

There isn't a second column in the range A8:A731....
--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel