Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default Help with Excel lookup function please

Try this *array* formula:

=INDEX(A2:F2,MAX(IF(A3:F20=A22,COLUMN(A:F))))

--
Array formulas must be entered with CSE, <Ctrl <Shift <Enter, instead of
the regular <Enter, which will *automatically* enclose the formula in curly

--
HTH,

RD

"Victor Delta" wrote in message
I have an array - say A2:F20 which contains different names of 6 types of
referral source, where the 6 names in row 2 are the titles of the types

and
the names are listed in the appropriate columns below each title.

Is there a formula I can use in Excel so that if I type a the name of a
referral source in say cell A22, cell B22 will return the appropriate type
title.

I have looked up help on using lookup tables but none of the functions

seem
to provide what I want, although I can't believe it can't be done!

Thanks,