Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Bridges[_2_] Bob Bridges[_2_] is offline

Default Problem with HLookup. Not sure if it is a bug or not

I think you're right in your use of FALSE as the 4th argument. What I see is
another problem, or maybe two others. I use R1C1 notation myself, but it
seems to me you're confusing your rows and columns; you speak of rows A, B
and C, but usually in A1 notation A, B and C refer to columns and rows are
denoted as numbers. Could it be as simple as that? Seems to me your formula
ought to to refer not to MAX(C1:C61) but to MAX(A3:BI3), not A1:C61 but
A1:BI3. Or, if you're using R1C1, to MAX(R3C1:R3C61) and R1C1:R3C61.

If so, I see a further problem: HLOOKUP insists on the value you're
searching for - MAX(A3:BI3) - being in the first row of the table, not the
third. If you want to search on the max value in row 3, and return a
corresponding value from row 2, and don't want to rearrange the rows, you can
still do it; you just have to do a MATCH instead of HLOOKUP. Match gives you
the COLUMN NUMBER your max value appeared in - say 33 - which you can then
use with INDIRECT to pull the value in row 33 col 2.

How am I doing so far?

--- "rockycho912" wrote:
I have a table as set up below:

0 1 2 3 4 5 ... 59 60 (row A)
0 0.16 0.32 0.48 0.63 0.79 ... 9.34 9.50 (row B)
0 17 28 36 56 90 ... 20 0 (row C)

Row A is just a row of arbitrary number reference from 0 to 60
Row B is 1/60 divisions of a given length, in this case, 9.5m
Row C is results I generated from other formula. These values are not in
sequence or equal increments but always increase from 0 then peaks
somewhere in between then decrease again.

I'm trying to use"=HLookup(MAX(C1:C61),A1:C61,2,False)" to find the
particular point on the given length where the result was the greatest. I
understand with the "false" command the table_arrary doesn't necessary have
to be in order but all I am getting is #N/A as a result and it seems to me
this was down to a problem with the sorting of the table_array because when I
leave out the "false" command, meaning the table_array has to be in order, I
always get 9.5 (the final value) as my results.

I got around this by using the index/match as very well documented on this
forum, but I still want to know if I am doing anything wrong with the HLookup
function or is there really a bug or something.