Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rockycho912 rockycho912 is offline

Default Problem with HLookup. Not sure if it is a bug or not

I have a table as setup below:

0 1 2 3 4 5 ... 59 60 (row A)
0 0.16 0.32 0.48 0.63 0.79 ... 9.34 9.50 (row B)
0 17 28 36 56 90 ... 20 0 (row C)

Row A is just a row of arbitrary number reference from 0 to 60
Row B is 1/60 divisions of a given length, in this case, 9.5m
Row C is results I generated from other formula. These values are not in
sequence or equal increments but always increase from 0 then peaks somewhere
in between then decrease again.

I'm trying to use"=HLookup(MAX(C1:C61),A1:C61,2,False)" to find the
particular point on the given length where the result was the greatest. I
understand with the "false" command the table_arrary doesn't necessary have
to be in order but all I am getting is #N/A as a result and it seems to me
this was down to a problem with the sorting of the table_array because when I
leave out the "false" command, meaning the table_array has to be in order, I
always get 9.5 (the final value) as my results.

I got around this by using the index/match as very well documented on this
forum, but I still want to know if I am doing anything wrong with the HLookup
function or is there really a bug or something.