Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartin smartin is offline

Default repeating function q

Andrew wrote:
I have a column of data where I need to select a group of X number of cells
each time and obtain an average. When I copy the formula down it only copies
the formula with one additional space down, but I want it to jump over the
cells that have already been averaged. Example formuala is: Average(B1:B5),
when copied down it goes (B2:B6), but I want (B6:10). Im sure this is easy
but I dont know the shortcut.

A couple ideas.

This will give the averages in consecutive rows. If you want something
other than groups of 5, change the two 5's in the formula:

=AVERAGE(OFFSET($B$1,5*(ROW()-1),0,5,1))

This will give averages on every 5th row. Again, change the 5's (two of
them) to something else as needed.

=IF(MOD(ROW(),5)=0,AVERAGE(B1:B5),"")