jedi249

Default Opening an Excel File

My computer recently crashed and I was able to back-up my data from my hard
drive to a cd before I did a system restore. I have MS Office 2000. I am
trying to open an Excel file from the cd and I get the following message:

"Cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to
access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not
be responding. Access is denied."

When I try to change the properties of the file and take off the read-only
attribute, I get the following message:

"An error occurred applying the attributes to the file. Access is denied."

I also tried doing an xcopy of the file to the hard drive and I get the same
message. There are other Excel files on the same cd which open just fine. How
can I open this file?