Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default countif or sumproduct?

If the OP is polite enough to respond then we will have our clarification

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Depends on how you read this
one of the following letters

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Mike H" wrote in message
Yes, tested OK. I may have misunderstood the OP requirements but it does
what
it was intended to do. i.e count the instances of hmyu either within or at
the start of any string in any cell in A:A

your issue being?

Mike

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Tested?
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Mike H" wrote in message
Maybe

=COUNTIF(A:A,"*hmyu*")

or for the string beginning with hmyu

=COUNTIF(A:A,"hmyu*")

Mike

"arch0072" wrote:

i have a column with over 2000 alpha character rows that i'm trying to
count.

I have a the one of the following letters hmyubsqzvtgxce in the rows
of
the
column.

I'm trying to count the total number of hmyu when listed in this
column?