Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default not able to see tick mark label

If I were having trouble with the labels, I'd hide the default labels, then
plot a dummy series along the axis and assign data labels that achieve the
look I need.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Del Cotter" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, I said:
e57 said:
I created a custom date-axis in the form N, D, J-YY, F,...
But -YY is not always visible even after I have shrunk the size of the
tick mark label.

Create a second date column in the worksheet, with the same date and the
format YY, and use both columns to make the date axis. This will display
correctly.

Correction: will display correctly in 97. Having just looked at it in
2000, I see that the "improvement" that forces double-columned category
ranges to look like those ugly Pivot Charts, with the combs cluttering up
the space.

So, plan B: go back to one column, format just the months you want with

"mmmmm yy" (space, not hyphen)

leaving the rest at "mmmmm".

Then set Chart Options.. Axes to "Category", and set Format Axis to
"Linked to source", then ensure that the months are packed too tightly to
allow the year to appear in the same line. It will wrap down to the second
line and appear as

08

which is how you want it.

--
Del Cotter
NB Personal replies to this post will send email to