Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KARTX KARTX is offline

Default Worksheet calculation different from calculator's

Ye Gods! I LOVE getting old. You are both absolutely right. Seems my eye hand
coordination is skewed but consistent. Every time I entered the larger number
in the spreadsheet, I made the same error. Thanks for taking the time to
respond. Don't suppose you have a cure for old timer's syndrome, do you?
Sheepishly,
Karen

"Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" wrote:

to get 4159.75, you need 66556, not 66566. Excel is right.

"KARTX" wrote:

I am calculating state sales tax. My calculator and the state's agree -
Excel's does not. For example, in the calculation 66,566 times 6.25% o my
calculator and the state come up with 4,159.75. Using in the formula 66,566 *
.0625 in a cell results in 4,159.72.
Similar discrepancies occur all the way through the spreadsheet. I can only
surmise that there's a built-in round up or down function being performed and
I can't figure out how to discontinue it.