Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
assaf1978 assaf1978 is offline

Default Help on VLOOKUP

The only thing I can think of is to put true at the end of the vlookup and
not false. I think it goes from the beginning but not entirely sure

"Sunez" wrote:

Hi,
My lookup_values in Col F have more number of digits than that of the first
column in the table_array (C$2:D$8254). How can I do a partial matching such
that if a value in Col F begins with one or more values in Col C, then the
corresponding value in Col D to the highest of those matching(partial) values
is returned. E.g

Col C Col D Col F
1 9645 0.23 964455533
2 9644 0.31 9685768961
3 964 0.21 92347556
4 96 0.40 8593646462
5 95843 0.22 9683034746
6 9583 0.14 424567899
.
.
If 964455533 (F1) is looked up in Col C, then 0.31(D2) should be returned
since 9644(C2) is the highest number in Col C that starts 964455533, but if
9685768961(F2) is looked up, then 0.40(D4) should be returned and so on. Can
VLOOKUP be used or is there any other way? I really need your help.

Thanks in advance.
Sunez