Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sheeloo Sheeloo is offline

Default Using CTRL to select cells for a formula

I don't think you can select some cells and then pass them onto any formula
chosen by you.

What you want, however, can be achieved with a simple macro as follows;
(Before running this macro select the cells you want and then run it [macro
can be assigned to a button or keyboard short cut]

Currently it calculates total, average and count of cells and puts them in
cells D1-D3. You may replace the logic within the loop to get other results.

Sub Cells_Loop()
Dim i As Range
Dim SumSelectedCells

SumSelectedCells = 0

For Each Cell In Selection
SumSelectedCells = SumSelectedCells + Cell.Value
Next
AverageSelectedCells = (SumSelectedCells / Selection.Count)
Range("D1").Value = SumSelectedCells
Range("D2").Value = SumSelectedCells / Selection.Count
Range("D3").Value = Selection.Count
'MsgBox ("TOTAL=" & SumSelectedCells & ", AVEARAGE=" & AverageSelectedCells
& ", COUNT=" & Selection.Count)
End Sub

"Elgee" wrote:

Hi -
I tried to search for help on this one before posting - but wasn't sure how
to search for my answer if that makes sense.

Essentially - I work with a very manual spreadsheet with a lot of various
data for project reporting. (Forecasts, Actuals, EAC, Variance etc.) Due to
the format / layout of the worksheet - I often need to use 'ctrl' to select
the cells I want to include in a formula. IE: =sum(f1, f3, f33, f35) etc.
Is it possible to back into a formula like that? IE: I click CTRL and
select the various cells I want to total and I can see that # in the status
bar at the bottom of the screen. Is there a way to copy those cells into a
formula?

Thanks!