Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Craig Craig is offline

Default ARRAY Formula

Thank you very much! Good article on SUMPRODUCT!! I did think about things
a bit and found that
=SUMPRODUCT(--(G6:G54=10),--(H6:H54=10))+SUMPRODUCT(--(G6:G54=10),--(H6:H54=5))+SUMPRODUCT(--(G6:G54=5),--(H6:H54=10))
seems to work since 5,5 is not a legal combination to be considered.

Again thanks! Not sure how to call this one answered but would be more than
happy to close it out if I need to do so....

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

"Craig" wrote in message
Thanks! I tried it on my example and it works. However, I do not
understand
how the code works

Bob Philips explains how to use SUMPRODUCT() like this far better than I
ever could:

I was just trying with an example. I need to eventually figure out a long
couple of columns such that one must contain a 10 and the other either a
10
or a 5. It could be 10,10 or 10, 5 or 5,10. Any of these results
registering as a one then summed up. Any thoughts?

In SUMPRODUCT() formulas * (multiplication) works like an AND() and + works
like on OR so it follows that

=SUMPRODUCT(((A1:A10=5)+(A1:A10=10)),((B1:B10=5)+( B1:B10=10)))

will return a count of the number of matches or 5 or 10. Note that this
will also include 5 & 5, if that is not acceptable then read Bob's site or
post back.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Craig" wrote in message
Thanks! I tried it on my example and it works. However, I do not
understand
how the code works. I looked up SUMPRODUCT help and it does not show
the --
signs. Not being a real programmer, could you explain this coding to me?

I was just trying with an example. I need to eventually figure out a long
couple of columns such that one must contain a 10 and the other either a
10
or a 5. It could be 10,10 or 10, 5 or 5,10. Any of these results
registering as a one then summed up. Any thoughts?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Not SUM(IF_) but try:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A5=10),--(B1:B5=10))

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Craig" wrote in message
I need to count the number of times that 10 occurs at the same time in
two
columns:
A B
1 3 4
2 10 6
3 10 10
4 5 10
5 10 10
In this example it happens twice so I would want my SUM(IF...) formula
total 2.