Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Corey Corey is offline

Default Tricky Sum problem

I can email you the exapmle if you like ?

"Sum problem" wrote in message
Attached book example?

"Corey" wrote:

Is the attached book example what you are after ?

Corey....

"Sum problem" wrote in message
For clarification on this problem let me add that the cell location is
not
the same on each sheet, but the name is the same. Although I would
enjoy
the
challenge I don't have the time to pick up the necessary skills to
program
this - I'm hoping that there is a way to put a formula together that
will
simply sum all cells with the defined name "Total" from each sheet.

"Bob Bridges" wrote:

Whew! Someone else may know another way - are lots of things you can
do
with
Excel that I've never heard of yet - but this sounds to me like a call
for
you to write your own worksheet function in VBA, if you're willing to
take
that on. It's not that hard, but if you've never done any programming
it
does require learning a new skill. Or do you already know how?

--- "Sum problem" wrote:
I would like to sum a common cell, by defined name, accross a set of
different sheet. The cell name is the same, with a scope to the
sheet
only.
Example: sheet1!total + sheet2!total + sheet3!total... and so
on
I want to be able to do this without having to type in the above,
but
have
been unable to determine how to get something like the following to
work:
Example: =sum(sheet1!:sheet2!,total)
I would be most grateful if anyone can show me how to do this.
Thanks