Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Sum

The cell name is the same, with a scope to the sheet only.

How have you defined the sheet level names? Like this: !$A$1

Well, when you refer to a sheet level name that is the same across many
sheets it only applies to the name that corresponds to the active sheet.
AFAIK there is no way to do this.

What's wrong with this:

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet10!A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sum problem" <Sum wrote in message
I would like to sum a common cell, by defined name, accross a set of
different sheet. The cell name is the same, with a scope to the sheet
only.
Example: sheet1!total + sheet2!total + sheet3!total... and so on
I want to be able to do this without having to type in the above, but have
been unable to determine how to get something like the following to work:
Example: =sum(sheet1!:sheet2!,total)
I would be most grateful if anyone can show me how to do this. Thanks.