thefeokas

Default Value Not Available Error in Vlookup

I'm using the vlookup function to get a number back from a table. I've
created the vlookup properly but keep getting the #N/A with the message -
"Value Not Available Error". The problem is that the value is available.
I've copied the vlookup formula into a number of cells - all come back #N/A.
The puzzle is, I can get the formula to work if I retype the value being
looked up in the table. I've compared formats; I've made sure the table is
in alphabetical order; I can't see any difference from the value being looked
up with the value in the table - they are even the same font.
Any ideas? The table is copied into the worksheet from another workbook.
Thanks for any help.