Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Merging Date Columns

It depends to some extent whether you've got text in your cells, or dates
formatted in a particular way.
If your 21-Aug is text, you could try =A2&"-"&B2 if you want output as text,
or =--(A20&"-"&B20) and format as a date if you want Excel to treat it as a
date.
If column A contains a date from which you aren't displaying the year, and
you want to ignore the undisplayed year and replace it by 2003 from column
B, try =DATE(B2,MONTH(A2),DAY(A2)).
--
David Biddulph

wrote in message
I have two columns that I want to merge into one. The first column is
as month day column 21-Aug and the second column is a year column, ie
2003. Is there a way to merge the two together? I have tried the
CONCATENATE and the merge functions without success. I am a fairly
novice/infrequent user of Excel.

Thanks.