Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default Merging Date Columns

Is your first column text? Or is it a date. If it is a date, then it already
has a year, and you could use the following formula:
=DATE(B2,MONTH(A2),DAY(A2))
If it is text, and only has 21-Aug entered, AND assuming that any dates are
entered with a number, followed immediately by a - (dash), followed
immediately by a 3 letter month abbreviation, you could use the following
formula:
=DATE(B2,TEXT(A2,"m"),LEFT(A2,FIND("-",A2)-1))

Hope this helps.

--
John C

" wrote:

I have two columns that I want to merge into one. The first column is
as month day column 21-Aug and the second column is a year column, ie
2003. Is there a way to merge the two together? I have tried the
CONCATENATE and the merge functions without success. I am a fairly
novice/infrequent user of Excel.

Thanks.