Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default sort by numbers of digits in cells

It sounds as if you may have a mixture of text and numbers. You can check
with ISTEXT() and ISNUMBER(). Solve that problem first (though Excel ought
to have offered you the option to sort text strings which look like numbers
as if they were numbers).
--
David Biddulph

"mab2819" wrote in message

I need to sort a large document by a certain column. That column consists
of
numbers that are six digits and five digits. I need to insert a leading
zero
in all those numbers that consist of only five digits. Some of those six
digit numbers already correctly have the leading zero, so when I sort, it
doesn't isolate the five digit ones. Any ideas on how I can do this?
TIA,
--
mab