Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Deena Deena is offline

Default Count occurrences of text within a cell

Can you please tell me where a good tutorial on this subject is? Or what is
the significance of each part of this formula? I'm trying to expand my
knowledge of Excel. The formula works to count the number of 'V's' (in my
spreadsheet) in a range but I would like to return a value of 4 for each 'V'
counted.

Thanks.

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A1),"E","")))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Stan Sitek" wrote in message
I need to count the number of characters repeating within a cell. For
example, assuming the following in range A1 through A4:

eee
ee
aaaae
af