Lethal

Hi Gord,
Thanks for that.
I had a look in tools/options in ecxel and it was already unchecked....I
then ran the start/run commands you suggested and windows installer did
something (?) Do you consider it may now be safe to runa dndownload the
updates?

regards

Lee.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Lethal

Sounds like your file associations could be bad. Try re-registering these
Applications.

For Excel.........

First try the standard fix(es)......ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "ignore
other applications"

OR StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space before the /
mark).

You may have to enter your full path to excel.exe....in that case surround
with quotes as in..... "C:\mypath\to Excel\somewhere\excel.exe" /regserver

For Word...........

StartRun "winword.exe /r" (no quotes and note the space before the /
mark). Again, you may have to enter the full path to winword.exe

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 04:49:02 -0700, Lethal
wrote:

I have recently had to reinstall windows xp (home-sp2) due to corrupt
registery. At this time I also noted that none of my current MS Office (Excel
or Word) files would open. The message being received was 'unable to read
file' or 'unable to open file'. I have accordngly carried out a full
reinstall of office xp pro. This enable the files to open.
However when I download and install all the avaliable office updates
(including Office XP Service Pack 3 (English version)) , the bug/error
reoccurs.
I have therefore uninstalled (deleted all office folders) and resinstalled
(Office xp) back in it original or raw state, so at least I can use the files.
I would like to be able to download and install all security issues & updates.

Has anyone ever heard of this of have any suggestions as to a fix?
Would be much appreciated