Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mje1975 mje1975 is offline

Default summing, grouping percentages in pivot table.

There must be an easy solution to this, but I cannot find one. I'm
having the basic problem of summing and grouping percentage values in
a pivot table. For example, with data like this:

Dept, Premium, Commission, Commission_Pct
Liability, 40, 4, 0.1
Property, 10, 2, 0.2

Commission_Pct is simply Commission/Premium.

I want to create a pivot table that shows displays premium and
commission_pct, then sums the totals. Of course, when I set up the
table, and sum the values, premium sums to 50, but commission_pct sums
to .3 (when it should be 6/50 = 0.12). I tried using Commission
instead of Commission_Pct, then playing with the options in the field
to try and display as a percent of another column (in this case I
would want to show as percent of premium). However, nothing seemed to
work. I was able to show Commission as a percent of the total
Commission, but that is not what I want. I want to show Commission as
a percent of Premium in the pivot table.

There must be any easy fix that I am missing. Thanks for your help.

- Matt