Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Glenn Glenn is offline

Default macro help

scott wrote:
My task is is pretty simple, but complicated to explain, so bear with me. I
am taking a column of data (column a), and taking the average of every 5 data
points (column b), starting at a1. In column c, I am taking the average of
every 5 data points in column b, starting with b5. I would like to create a
macro that will do this for me, but I am having trouble figuring out how to
do it. See below for my example.

a b c
1. 1
2. 2
3. 3
4. 4
5. 5 3
6. 6 4
7. 7 5
8. 8 6
9. 9 7
10. 10 8 5
11. 11 9 6
12. 12 10 7
13. 13 11 8
14. 14 12 9
15. 15 13 10
16. 16
17. 17
18. 18
19. 19
20. 20

can anyone help? i'll explain better if you need me to.

No macro necessary, as far as I can tell. I think you meant to start column C
with row 9 (the first five values in column B are in rows 5 through 9).

B5=AVERAGE(A1:A5)

C9=AVERAGE(B5:B9)

Copy each formula down as needed.