Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default x = 1

You are very welcome.

As I read in another post some time ago:
"there is nothing more dangerous than a manager with a spreadsheet" <g

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Bryan De-Lara" wrote in message
Thanks Sandy, just what I needed.
Gordon, it is 5 columns that has x's in rather than ticks. The headers
for the columns are 1 to 5. My boss didn't want numeric entered into the
cells which would have been easy to sum total. So I needed x to = 1 and so
on.
Thanks for the reply.

Bryan.
"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
With x's in Column A,

==COUNTA(A1:A25)

will cound *any* entry in the cells.

=COUNTIF(A1:A25,"x")

will count only the x's

In Column B use:

=COUNTIF(B1:B25,"x")*2

will count each x as equal to 2

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Bryan De-Lara" wrote in message
Hi all, I am fairly new to excel. I want to put x's into a column and
make each x = 1 then do a count further down. Then in the next column
put an x to = 2 then do another count and so on in more columns
increasing the value of x. I cannot seem to get anything to work. I've
tried to put into a cell x=1 and so on but it doesn't work. Any help
would be appreciated.

Bryan.